Sunscreen, is it necessary?
- Posted on: May 15 2020
We are all exposed to UV rays from the sun, whether it is cloudy or sunny. You are still getting this exposure that has an impact on your skin on a daily basis. We all are aware that we need to wear sunscreen but we don’t know why it is important. As depending on what generation you were born in, you may know the importance of it from a young age or as a young adult. Sunscreen play an important part in maintaining the health of our skin. Thus, being essential for us to regularly apply sunscreen.
Why should we wear sunscreen?
We all know it is important to protects our skin from getting a sunburn. However, there are other reasons to why we should wear it everyday.
- Prevents premature ageing.
Since the sun gives out UV rays, it causes free radical damage over time. This premature ageing breaks down the collagen and elastin in the skin. This results in fine lines and wrinkles. Similarly, it causes the melanocytes to go in over production resulting in hyperpigmentation. Whereas, the regular use of sunscreen can help to reduce the damage by 90%.
- Exposure to the sun increase your chances of getting skin cancer.
This includes increasing your chances of getting Basel cell carcinoma, squamous cell skin cancer and melanoma. As UV radiation is the cause of skin cancer. Thus, it is important to keep your skin protected and reduce your chances of skin cancer.
- Sunscreen reduces hyperpigmentation. Hyperpigmentation is dark patches that appear on the skin as a result of sun damage. The dark color is caused by changes made to the melanin in the skin, resulting in hyperpigmentation. Thus, it can be beneficial to reduce hyperpigmentation.
- Prevents inflammation.
The sun changes the DNA of immune cells in the skin causing inflammation and free radical damage. This suppresses the immune system leading to inflammation. Thus, it is important to to prevent inflammation.
- Prevent sensitivity from the sun rays.
For instance, if you have rosacea or Lupus. When the sun rays hit the skin, it causes burning and redness. Thus, can help with this sensitivity.
How should I wear sunscreen?
- Always pick a Broad Spectrum Sunscreen that has SPF 50.
- Reapply sunscreen every 2 hours whether you have been in the sun or not.
- Use sunscreen that has Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide.
- When going outside best to wear protective clothing and a wide brim hat.
At Saints European we have broad spectrum sunscreen available with both of the vital ingredient needed in a sunscreen.
To find out more call our friendly team on (828) 586 – 6172 today!
Posted in: Uncategorized