Repair skin barrier
- Posted on: Jul 22 2022
Our skin has its own barrier. We need to make sure it is well looked after. However, at times things we do or use can disturb our natural barrier causing skin problems, such as rosacea, dry, scaly and discolored patches.
What is the skin barrier?
We know our skin is made up of many layers. But the skin barrier refers to the outer layer of the skin. It helps to retain the natural oil produced by the skin and help to protect the skin from environmental damage.
How to keep the skin barrier protected?
- Using to hot or too cold water – this can damage the natural oils on the skin. Best is to use lukewarm water in order to protect the skin barrier protected.
- Not to over exfoliate the skin – doing this can damage the skin barrier, causing it red, dry and flaky. Best to only exfoliate 2-3 times a year.
- Using to many active ingredients together – using products that contain retinol, alpha hydroxy acids or salicylic acid. All of these ingredients used together can affect the skins barrier. As it can cause irritation due to over using many active ingredients.
- Sun damage – can affect the barrier too. Best to use sunscreen in order to protect skin from sun damage.
What are the other signs that shows the skin barrier is damage?
- Skin tightness
- Sensitive or inflamed skin
- Viral, bacterial or fungal infection
To look after your skin barrier and skin best to have skincare treatment done by a skin specialist. To know more contact Saints European on (828) 586-6172.
Posted in: Uncategorized