Maskne acne what is it?
- Posted on: Apr 1 2021
During this COVID out break has caused us all to wear a face mask in order to protect ourselves from this virus. Even though we have been protected by wearing masks, but it has caused us with some facial problems. For instance, wearing masks for prolong period has resulted us in getting acne in the area where we wear the mask. This can be frustrating to many to why they are getting these outbreak that don’t seem to go away. Instead they are adding in number of pimples we get on the face. Therefore, it is important to acknowledge that it is not your normal acne, instead maskne acne.
Who are at risk of maskne acne?
In terms of maskne acne everyone is at risk. However some are more at risk than others. For instance, those individuals working in front line in healthcare are likely to get this due to prolong wear. Also those who are working in hospitality that need to wear the mask during their long shift is at risk also. Whereas others are still at rush but not at major risk as they are wearing the mask only for shorter period of time. Thus, the length of time you wear the mask can influence maskne acne.
What areas do maskne area can occur?
Maskne acne can be in all the area of the face that the mask touches the skin. However they are some areas where you may notice more breaksouts. For instance, the cheeks, nose, mouth areas and chin. Those who wear face shields can get acne on the forehead, due to the accumulation for skin oils and sweat gathering in that area. Thus, causing acne.
What can I do to reduce maskne acne?
- Change your mask regularly to avoid oils touching your skin.
- Best to go with a face free of make up, as wearing makeup only makes things worse due oils being in make as well.
- Making sure you cleanse your skin with a toner.
- Wash your face twice a day.
- Wear cotton mask that will allow your skin to breath, especially when the weather gets hot.
- Making sure you wash your reusable masks, as it can harbour bacteria and oils.
- Having facials done help with the acne and help to keep under control.
- Don’t pick on your spot.
- Avoid touching the face even when you have the mask on.
Posted in: Uncategorized