Lack of sleep affect your skin?
- Posted on: Sep 15 2019
Often with the stressors of life we tend not to sleep for 7 – 8 hours as required. This lack of sleep over time affects our health and skin. As quite a lot of people have sleeping disorders, such as sleep apnea and insomnia. On the other hand, people tend to sleep less due to their stressful lives, which leads to sleep deprivation.Thus, it is important to know how lack of sleep affects your skin.
Sleep deprivation leads to stress building up in the body. Since lack of sleep causes a rise in cortisol level.This is stress hormone prevents the body to repair itself overnight. Consequently, results in skin damage appearing on the skin first.Thus, causing the appearance of eye bags, dark circles and other skin damage.
What does lack of sleep do to your skin?
- Increases the rate at which you age. Thus leading to the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Leads to skin dehydration and the appearance of larger pores.
- Increase appearance of redness on the skin.
- Increased dark circles around the eyes.
- Prevent cell turnover leading to a more dull appearance.
Can lack of sleep cause breakouts?
Sleep deprivation over time leads to the destruction of our immune system. This results in inflammation in the skin giving you that red appearance, dryness and breakouts. The more inflammation the less youthful your skin will be. Thus, it is important that we have our regular sleep to ensure we have clearer and youthful skin.
Can less sleep make certain skin conditions worst?
Lack of sleep can make skin conditions, such as eczema, acne, psoriasis and Rosacea worse. The less sleep we have it raises our anxiety levels bringing out breakouts on the skin. Thus, it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle with good amount of exercise and sleep.
What can I do to get more sleep?
The best way is to try to relax yourself before going to bed. Try certain tips that can aid you to get a good night sleep:
- Try meditation before going to bed.
- Prepare your mind to get ready for bed.
- Listen to relaxing music to relax your mind.
- Keep your mobile device away, as the blue light in this advice can hinder your sleep.
At Saints European we have a variety of customizable skin treatments to reverse the signs of ageing caused by lack of sleep. Feel free to call our friendly team today on (828) 586-6172!
Posted in: Uncategorized