Ingredients good to treat acne?
- Posted on: Feb 15 2021
Have you ever wonder which ingredients in acne products help to treat your acne? The answer is probably no. As we don’t often take time in looking at the ingredients label on products, but this is a vital step we should do. There are two ingredients we need to look out to see if a product will be effective in treating acne. For instance, these ingredients are benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. Therefore, it is best to understand how these powerful ingredients can help with acne in more detail.
What causes acne?
Acne is caused by the skin producing excess sebum that gets mix with bacteria on the face. This results in bacteria and dirt being trapped in pores and resulting in acne. When acne forms it’s mostly red and inflamed due to the bacteria. However, potent ingredients, such as benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid help to treat the acne from the surface and within the skin. Therefore, being best to manage acne condition.
Acne Ingredients: How does benzoyl peroxide help acne?
Benzoyl peroxide is a chemical skin ingredient that helps to kill the bacteria that is within the acne. As well as helps to reduce the inflammation making its less red and painful. This is done by benzoyl peroxide helping to remove dead skin cells on the surface and excess oils. This in turn will prevent anything further flare up of acne. This ingredient can be found in skin cleansers that can range from 2.5% to 10% and skin treatments. Therefore, benzoyl peroxide can help to treat acne.
Acne Ingredients: How does salicylic acid help acne?
Salicylic acid is a beta hydroxy acid, which unblocks the pores and reduces inflammation by unblocking the pores from dead skin cells. This is done by salicylic acid acting as an exfoliant to do this. This exfoliation remove dead skin so that acne bacteria can not feed on the dead skin. Often salicylic acid come in a variety of strengths that range from 0.5% to 2% in cleanser and treatments. Thus, using salicylic acid products help to prevent future breakouts.
Which one is best to use?
- Both are good for clearing acne. As salicylic acid helps to exfoliate dead skin cells, whereas benzoyl peroxide help to neutralize the acne bacteria.
- Some individuals can be allergic to benzoyl peroxide, so they may decide to go for salicylic acid. So it’s important to see what your allergic of to decide which of these both potent ingredient can help you.
- Most people are not allergic to salicylic acid.
- Benzoyl peroxide can be drying and cause skin sensitivity. It is always best to use this product at night and ensure that sunscreen is used.
- Salicylic acid can be drying and irritating depending on the strength used.
Posted in: Uncategorized