Can I be Allergic to makeup?
- Posted on: Jul 1 2019
We all use makeup on a daily basis to cover our flaws and to give us a more smooth and even complexion. Have we every thought about the ingredients in these products we use on our faces. From foundation to blusher we apply on our skins can cause an allergic reaction. Often at times we are unaware and ignore the subtle signs. Since it is hard to distinguish and realize you may be having an allergic reaction in the first place. Thus, continuing to use the makeup products and ignoring the crucial signs.
What are the signs of an allergic reaction to makeup?
We tend to first get a flare up after using a makeup product that does not agree with our skin. It is quite common to experience the following symptoms below.
- Experience redness and itchiness on the skin
- Flaky rashes that can crack and cause blister on the skin.
- Majority of makeup allergy appear on sensitive areas of the face. For instance, the eyelids and sensitive areas around the eyes. However, this does not mean that allergic reaction is only to these areas. But it can occur anywhere on the face. Therefore, it is important to look out for signs elsewhere.
In some cases, an allergic reaction does not develop instantly. Instead it may take several application of makeup to see if you are allergic. This is called contact dermatitis. The challenging issue is that it may take a few weeks or a months for you to notice you are allergic. Thus, it is important to notice any changes to the skin over time.
Who are likely to develop allergies to makeup?
Certain factors play an influence on how likely we are to develop a reaction. For instance, an individuals genetic makeup, environment, the amount exposure your skin has to theses products and skin sensitivity. Often people who have asthma or eczema are more vulnerable to makeup allergies. As the skin barrier is compromized. Thus certain factors do play a role to our likelihood of developing a reaction.
What ingredient should I look out for?
- Fragrance is one of the ingredients that can cause a reaction. Fragrances are made up with a variety of ingredients, such as alcohol, styrene and phthalates, which can trigger skin irritation and other symptoms.
- Nickel – used in pigmented products, such as eye shadows, antiperspirants.
- Lanolin and wood alcohol- used as a lubricant that is found in foundations, blushes, eyeshadows, eyeliner, moisturizer, mascara, lip stick and balm.
- Basalm of Peru- an ingredient used in powders and sunscreen giving the products it fragrance.
- Methylisothiazlinone and Methychloroisothiazolinone – are found in makeup removers, mascara, cleansers and antibacterial products.
How do I treat allergic reaction?
- To do cold compresses on the area to calm any redness and swelling, before applying any lotion.
- Taking antihistamine to reduce the inflammation.
- For any severe reaction consult your doctor or emergency help.
What should I look out for when buying makeup?
It is best when buying makeup is to look for paraben free, phthalates free, fragrance free products. Also look out for products that say they have been tested on sensitive skin and are hypoallergenic. However, this does not guarantee that you won’t get an allergic reaction. Thus, the best way it to monitor you skin for any changes.
At Saints European, we have mineral base makeup that is kind to all skin types. No harsh chemical used, instead 100% natural ingredients. For more information about our makeup line, call our friendly team today on (828) 586 – 6172!
Posted in: Uncategorized